Prevalence of diabetes and prediabetes, as well as cardiovascular disease is very high among Veterans. The aim of the study is to evaluate the rate of progression of prediabetes and the factors associated with progression to diabetes
This is a retrospective database study of progression of prediabetes to diabetes at a single institute, diagnosed based on HbA1C (5.7 to 6.4) between 2008 and 2018. Percentage of progression of diabetes among the subjects who had follow up data calculated. the time interval to progress to diabetes from the baseline prediabetes data calculated. Statistical analysis include descriptive statistics and correlation of parameters with progression to diabetes included.
Subjects with prediabetes identified include 65,591 with mean age 66 and mean HbA1C of 5.8. Only 8% women in the study population. Association of hypertension was 57% and coronary artery disease is 12%. Among them, 12,696 did not have a follow up HbA1C. At follow up of 52,995 prediabetes subjects, 19,380 subjects progressed to diabetes (36.6%). The mean age of subjects who progressed to diabetes is 69 with HbA1C of 6.15 compared to the mean age of 66 in those who did not progress.
Progression to diabetes negatively correlated with HbA1C (r=0.34; p < 0.001) but not with age, weight or presence of hypertension or CAD or fasting glucose. Time interval for progression was at a mean of 831 days with range of 90 days to 3727days.
Prevalence of prediabetes is very high among Veterans. Progression to diabetes correlation with HbA1C but not fasting glucose suggest post prandial hyperglycemia with probably glycemic variability is high.
1. Aggressive measures are necessary to prevent progression to diabetes to decrease the morbidity associated with diabetes and health care burden.
2. Measures to identify those progress to diabetes such as biomarker evaluation may be appropriate.
Subhashini Yaturu– Staff Physician/Prof. of Medicine, Dorn VAMC/ USC School of Medicine, Elgin, South Carolina
Staff Physician/Prof. of Medicine
Dorn VAMC/ USC School of Medicine
Elgin, South Carolina
Subhashini Yaturu, MD., FACE
Staff Physician, Section of Endocrinology, Dorn VAMC,
Professor of Medicine, USC School of Medicine, Columbia SC
Education: Kurnool Medical College, Kurnool, and AP, INDIA: MB; B.S & MD (General Medicine): SV University, AP, India.
Post Graduate Training in USA:
Residency: Internal Medicine: 1988-1991; State University of New York Health Sciences Affiliated Program at Woodhull Medical and Mental Health Center at Brooklyn, Brooklyn, New York.
Fellowship Endocrinology &Metabolism: 1991-1993 Finch University of Health Sciences/ Chicago Medical School (Current: Rosalind Franklin UHS), North Chicago, IL.
1975- 1988: Academic Institutes outside USA
1993- 1995: Staff Physician Endocrinology at VA Medical Center, North Chicago/Assisstant Professor, FINCH/CMS
1995- 2000: Staff physician/ Endocrinology at Overton Brooks VA Medical Center, Shreveport, LA
1995-2002 Assisstant Professor at LSUHSC, Shreveport, LA.
2000- 2008 Chief, Section of Endocrinology
2002- Jun2008 Associate Professor at LSUHSC, Shreveport, LA.
July 2008- Professor FTA- at LSUHSC, Shreveport, LA
Sept 2009- Aug 2015 Chief, Section of Endocrinology, Stratton VAMC, Albany, NY
May 2010- 2015 Professor of Medicine, AMC, Albany NewYork
Sept 2015- Staff Physician, Section of Endocrinology, Dorn VAMC, Columbia, SC
Certifications and Licensure:
1975 MD – General medicine. Equivalent to ABIM- Internal Medicine
1992 Certified in Internal Medicine by American Board of Internal Medicine
2003 Recertified in Internal Medicine by ABIM- Valid until 2013
1997 American Board of Internal Medicine- Subspecialty in Endocrinology and Metabolism
2007 &2017 Recertified in American Board of Internal Medicine- Subspecialty in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Membership in Professional Organizations:
1. The Endocrine Society, 1998-Present.
2. Professional member-American Diabetes Association, 1992-Present.
3. American Association of Clinical Endocrinology, 1994-Present.
4. Indian Medical Association: life member
5. American Thyroid Association; 1999-2012.
6. Professional Member-ISCD 1999-2012.
7. ASBMR 2001- 2012.
8. American Society of Hypertension: 1998- 2003
Membership in National and International Scientific Committees
1. Member Educational Committee of American Thyroid Association 2004- 2007
2. Member of Endocrinology Annual Board review Course Task Force Committee 2007-2010
3. Member of Endocrinology Annual Board review Course committee- AACE: 2012-2013
Editorial Board Member:
1. World Journal of Orthopedics: 2013-2017
2. World journal of Endocrinology and metabolism: 2013-2017
3. Editorial Board Member- Endocrinology & Metabolic Syndrome: Current Research- Omics publishing group
4. ISRN Endocrinology
Reviewer of abstracts for Endo-society
Reviewer for Journals:
2. Southern Medical Journal
5. European Journal of Cancer
6. Gut: BMJ Publications
7. The American Journal of Managed care
8. European journal of Endocrinology
9. Journal of Diabetes
10. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism
11. Journal of Endocrinology and several others
Book Chapters in Print:
1. Yaturu S :Obestatin, Leptin and Ghrelin in Obesity' - chapter in the book 'Obesity Epidemic'
2. Subhashini Yaturu. Diabetes and Cancer. Type 2 Diabetes, edited by Dr. K. Masuo, ISBN 978-953-51-1171-9; June 2013
3. Shara S. Azad, Isenovic, E. R., Yaturu, S., and Mousa, S.A. Insulin Therapies for Diabetes. Type 2 Diabetes, edited by Dr. K. Masuo, ISBN 978-953-51-1171-9; June 2013
4. Subhasini Yaturu and Jain SK. Obesity and Type II Diabetes. Obesity: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology and Prevention. Edited by Debasis Bagachi and Harry GP, CRC Press
5. Subhasini Yaturu and Jain SK. Insulin Resistance and Glucose Metabolism in Childhood Obesity. Global Perspectives on Childhood Obesity: Current Status, Consequences and Prevention. edited by Debasis Bagachi, Elseiver Publications
6. Subhashini Yaturu and Mousa S. Diabetes and Aspirin Resistance. Recent Advances in the Pathogenesis, Prevention and Management of Type 2 Diabetes and its Complications, ISBN 978-953-307-597-6, edited by Mark B. Zimering, MD, PhD
7. Subhasini Yaturu and Jain SK Diabetes and Obesity. Obesity: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology and Prevention. 2nd Edition 2012; Edited by Debasis Bagachi and Harry GP, CRC Press
Articles in Print
1. Tella SH, Kommalapati A, Yaturu S, Kebebew E. Predictors of Survival in Adrenocortical Carcinoma: An Analysis from the National Cancer Database. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2018;103(9):3566-3573. PMID:29982685
2. Yaturu S, Youngberg B, Zdunek S. Vitamin D levels in subjects with or without chronic kidney disease among Veterans with diabetes in North East United States. World J Diabetes. 2017 Jul 15;8(7):346-350. doi: 10.4239/wjd.v8.i7.346. PMID: 28751957.
3. Yaturu S, Moussa S (2017) Aspirin Resistance in Subjects with Premature Coronary Artery Disease in Relation to Abdominal Fat and Adipocytokines. J Heart Cardiovasc Res. Vol. 2 No. 1: 106.
4. Yaturu S, Satya Potluri, Van Alstyne AW, Sclerochoroidal Calcification: Parathyroid Connection J Med Surg Pathol 2017, 2:2 DOI: 10.4172/2472-4971.1000149
5. Yaturu S1, 2 and Raina Patel1, 2 : Metastases to the Thyroid Presenting as a Metabolically Inactive Incidental Thyroid Nodule with Stable Size in 15 Months, Case Reports in Endocrinology, Volume 2014 (2014), Article ID 643986 PMID:24818030.
6. Subhashini Yaturu 1*, Usawadee Dier2, Huadong Cui2, Shaker A. Mousa2: Aspirin resistance in young men with Type 2 diabetes; Journal of Diabetes Mellitus; Vol.4, No.1, 72-76 (2014) http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/jdm.2014.41013
7. Subhashini Yaturu, Diabetes therapies on horizon: Invited review. World Journal of diabetes: 2013 Feb 15; 4(1):1-7. doi: 10.4239/wjd.v4.i1.1.PMID: 23493823
8. Subhashini Yaturu: Biomarkers of Aspirin Resistance, Recent Patents on Biomarkers 2013, 3, 57-64
9. Subhashini Yaturu, MD1, Sonya Zdunek, AAS2 and Barbara Youngberg, MS 3: Vitamin D levels in Subjects with Prostate Cancer Compared to Age-matched Controls; Prostate Cancer, Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 524206 doi:10.1155/2012/524206
10. Subhashini Yaturu, MD1*, Jared Davis², LaTonya Franklin2, Runhua Shi3, Prasanna Venkatesh4, Sushil K. Jain3: Visfatin levels are low in subjects with type 2 diabetes compared to age-matched controls, Journal of Diabetes Mellitus; Vol.2, No.4, 373-377 (2012) doi:10.4236/jdm.2012.24058
11. Subhashini Yaturu, Jared Davis and Runhua Shi. Decreased bone mineral density in young male veterans on Pioglitazone. Journal of diabetes mellitus PP.35-39 Vol.2 No.1, 2012
12. Subhashini Yaturu: Obesity and diabetes. Journal of diabetes mellitus PP.79-95 Vol.1 No.4, 2011 ; DOI: 10.4236/jdm.2011.14012
13. Subhashini Yaturu and Jared Davis: Oral Bisphosphonates improve the Bone mineral density in men with Diabetes with or without Thiazolidinediones- Journal of Diabetes Mellitus' PP.129-132 Vol.1 No.4, 2011 DOI: 10.4236/jdm.2011.14018
14. Bhavin Shastri and Subhashini Yaturu Metabolic complications and increased cardiovascular risks as a result of androgen deprivation therapy in men with prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer. 2011;2011:391576. Epub 2011 Aug 1.PMID: 22110984
15. Subhashini Yaturu and Jared Davis. Prevalence of decreased vitamin D levels is high among veterans with diabetes and/or CKD. ISRN Endocrinology Volume 2011, Article ID 109458, doi:10.5402/2011/109458.
16. Subhashini Yaturu, Justin Fontenot and Tania Rowland: Mixed medullary thyroid cancer and follicular cancer, Am J Case Rep 2011; 12 CR1-4 Manuscript ID: 881371
17. Yaturu S and Rainer L. Thyroid nodule with eggshell calcification and oncocytic thyroid cancer. Med Sci Monit. 2010 Feb 26;16(3):CS25-28.PMID: 20190688
18. Subhashini Yaturu. Diabetes and skeletal health - J Diabetes. 2009 Dec;1(4):246-54. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-0407.2009.00049.x. Epub 2009 Aug 17. Review.PMID: 20923525
19. Subhashini Yaturu and Butch Forte. Prostate cancer associated with metabolic syndrome: Journal of Men's Health, Volume 6, Issue 2, June 2009, Pages 125-129.
20. Pothiwala P, Jain SK, Yaturu S. Metabolic syndrome and cancer. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2009 Aug;7(4):279-88.PMID: 19284314
21. Yaturu S, Humphrey S, Jain SK, Landry C. Decreased bone mineral density in men with metabolic syndrome alone and with type 2 diabetes. Med Sci Monit. 2009 Jan;15(1):CR5-9. PMID: 19114969
22. Yaturu S, Rains J, Jain SK. Relationship of elevated osteoprotegerin with insulin resistance, CRP, and TNF-alpha levels in men with type 2 diabetes. Cytokine. 2008 Sep 10. PMID: 18789716
23. Yaturu S Resistin as an inflammatory marker Invited commentary for Atherosclerosis Journal- Aug 2007
24. Yaturu S, Bryant B, Jain SK. Thiazolidinediones Treatment Decreases Bone Mineral Density in Type 2 Diabetic Men. Diabetes Care. 2007 30(6):1574-6. PMID: 17363747.
25. Yaturu S, Reddy RD, Rains J, Jain SK. Plasma and urine levels of resistin and adiponectin in chronic kidney disease. Cytokine. 2007 37(1):1-5. PMID: 17383891
26. Subramanian V, Yaturu S. Symptomatic ascites in a patient with hypothyroidism of short duration. Am J Med Sci. 2007 Jan;333(1):48-52. PMID: 17220693
27. Yaturu S, Daberry RP, Rains J, Jain S. Resistin and adiponectin levels in subjects with coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes. Cytokine. 2006 May;34(3-4):219-23. Epub 2006 Jul 5.
28. Yaturu S, Bridges JF, Subba Reddy DR. Decreased levels of plasma adiponectin in prediabetes, Type 2 diabetes and coronary artery disease. Med Sci Monit. 2006 Jan;12(1):CR17-20.
29. Kumar V, Blanchon B, Gu X, Fowler M, Scarborough D, Nathan CA, Yaturu S. Anaplastic thyroid cancer and hyperthyroidism. Endocr Pathol. 2005 Fall;16(3):245-50. PMID: 16299408.
30. Yaturu S, Djedjos S, Alferos G, Deprisco C. Bone mineral density changes on androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer and response to antiresorptive therapy.
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2005 Nov 8; PMID: 16276350
31. Yaturu S, Bridges JF, Dhanireddy RR. Preliminary evidence of genetic anticipation in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Med Sci Monit. 2005 Jun;11(6):CR262-265. PMID: 15917716
32. Yaturu S, Prado S, Grimes SR. Changes in adipocyte hormones leptin, resistin, and adiponectin in thyroid dysfunction. J Cell Biochem. 2004 Oct 15;93(3):491-6. PMID: 15372626
33. Yaturu S and Vidhya Subramanian and Rakesh Singal: pituitary metastases. “Federal Practitioner’ Oct 2004.
34. Yaturu S, DePrisco C, Lurie A. Severe autoimmune hypoglycemia with insulin antibodies necessitating plasmapheresis. Endocr Pract. 2004 Jan-Feb;10(1):49-54. PMID: 15251622
35. Yaturu S. Skeletal effects of statins. Endocr Pract. 2003 Jul-Aug;9(4):315-20. Review. PMID: 14561578
36. Yaturu S, Harrara E, Nopajaroonsri C, Singal R, Gill S. Gynecomastia attributable to human chorionic gonadotropin-secreting giant cell carcinoma of lung. Endocr Pract. 2003 May-Jun;9(3):233-5. PMID: 12917067
37. Yaturu S, McDonald J. Levels of soluble human leukocyte antigen class 1 are increased in Graves' disease and toxic multinodular goiter and correlate with the levels of triiodothyronine. Thyroid. 2002 Aug;12(8):679-82. PMID: 12225636
38. Yaturu S, Fowler MR. Differentiated thyroid carcinoma with functional autonomy. Endocr Pract. 2002 Jan-Feb;8(1):36-9. PMID: 11939757
39. H.N. Ma, P.L. Chang, S. Chen, M. Evens, S, Singh, S. Yaturu, D. Trace, and F. Naey Rad. An intelligent hypermedia system for generating progress notes and physician reminders Computer-Based Medical Systems, 1993. Proceedings of Sixth Issue, 13-16 Jun 1993 Page(s):165 – 170 Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/CBMS.1993.262972- Proceedings of the Sixth IEEE Symposium on CBMS, Ann Arbor, June 13-16. 165-170.
40. Chi-Hwa Kao; Evens, M.; Trace, D.A.; Singh, S.; Yaturu, S. A Windows user interface to data retrieval and report generation for a diabetic patient database Page(s): 98-103 Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/CBMS.1994.315995
41. Subhashini G Dyslipidemia and Ischaemic Heart disease- 1975 Dissertation submitted to SV University, India.
Papers presented at professional meetings:
1. Satya Potluri, Anthony Van Alstine and Yaturu, S: Sclerocoroidal calcification a case report- presented at AACE annual meetings in 2016 at Orlando, FL.
2. Michael Marchese and Yaturu, S: Prevalence of Incidental adrenal Enlargement on Computed Tomography (CT) Scan of abdomen and size of adrenals in relation to the Subcutaneous versus visceral fat- presented at annual meetings AACE 2015- news release
3. Michael Marchese, Sonya Zduneck, Christian Kim and Subhashini Yaturu: Vitamin D levels among Veterans with diabetes compared to those without diabetes and kidney disease from the Northeast USA-presented at annual meetings AACE 2015- news release
4. Yussef Hazimeh1,2 and Subhashini Yaturu1,2 Hypertestosteronemia- asymptomatic; to be presented at Annual AACE meetings held in May 2014 @ Las Vegas, NV
5. Michel Marchese, *1,2 and Subhashini Yaturu,2 Thyrotoxicosis presenting with rapidly progressive severe systemic edema and tense ascites in the setting of dynamic systolic function; presented at ICE-2014 in June @ Chicago, IL; https://endo.confex.com/endo/2014endo/webprogram/Paper12696.html
6. Yussef Hazimeh1,2, Raina Patel2, Syed Mehdi2, Wei Wang2 and Subhashini Yaturu1,2 Well differentiated Oncocytic carcinoma of thyroid by histology with a clinical behavior like an anaplastic Cancer ; presented at ICE-2014 in June @ Chicago, IL https://endo.confex.com/endo/2014endo/webprogram/Paper12904.html
7. Ravi Borra, Pardis Javadi, Anpam Batra, Syed Mehdi, Allison Lupinetti, Raina Patel and Subhashini Yaturu: Metastases to the thyroid from lung cancer presenting as an incidental thyroid nodule with stable size on interval CT’s of chest: submitted for Annual Endocrine Society meetings 2103 to be held in June at San Fransisco.
8. Subhashini Yaturu, Emmy Dier and Shaker Mousa. Diabetes and aspirin resistance-Proceedings of Annual Endo-Society meetings held in June 2012 held at Houston, TX; News release for both scientific and Lay public
9. Subhashini Yaturu, Barbara Youngberg and Sonya Zduneck Vitamin D in subjects with Prostate cancer- Proceedings of Annual Endo-Society meetings held in June 2012 held at Houston, TX
10. Subhashini Yaturu, Ritz W, Mathew R, Finn J and Phelps K: Bone turnover markers in subjects with Hemodialysis: Proceedings of Annual Endo-Society meetings held in June 2011 held at Boston.
11. Sacco J, Phelps D, Yaturu S: Development and Evolution of Electronic Consultation Services at the Stratton VAMC Albany NY (VISN2). Learning Hall, Conversations Café venue (8 sessions). VHA Improvement Forum, September 20-22 2011.
12. Subhashini Yaturu, Jared Davis: Vitamin D in subjects with diabetes and or CKD: Proceedings of Annual Endo-Society meetings held in June 2010 at San Diego, CA
13. Subhashini Yaturu, Jared Davis: Osteoprotegerin and adipocytokine levels in relation to bone mineral density and visceral fat content in young men
14. J. Davis, Subhashini Yaturu. Overton Brooks VAMC, Shreveport, LA. April 2009
15. Justin Fontenot and Subhashini Yaturu: Medullary thyroid carcinoma and follicular cancer- Case report- Proceedings of Annual Endo-Society meetings held in June 2008 at San Francisco, CA.
16. Uysal, Deepa Ghanta and Subhashini Yaturu: Bone scans did not show the difference in the uptake among patients with bisphosphonates. Presented at annual ISCD meeting. Received young investigator award. Dr. Yaturu is the mentor and PI of the study.
17. Subhashini Yaturu and Stacey Humphrey: Bone mineral Density changes are associated with metabolic syndrome in subjects with diabetes. Proceedings of Annual ASBMR meetings held in Sept 2007 at Honolulu, Hawaii
18. Subhashini Yaturu - Decreased BMD in subjects receiving rosiglitazone- Poster presentation at ASBMR Annual meetings held in Sept 2006 at Philadelphia, PA.
19. Subhashini Yaturu and Barbara Bryant – Decreased BMD and Aortic calcification in subjects with less than 55 years of age. Poster presentation at Proc. Of the Endo Society at Boston 2006.
20. Laura Rainer and Subhashini Yaturu - Annular calcification with Oncocytic thyroid cancer – Poster presentation at Proc. Of the Endo Society at Boston 2006.
21. Subhashini Yaturu and Barbara Bryant- Aortic calcification and the cardiovascular risk markers and BMD- Pilot study. Proceedings of ASBMR annual meetings – 2005 and printed in Abstract Book- But could not attend the meeting.
22. Laura Kimball Ravari, Stephen Djedjos, Sandhya Bejjanki, Wassim Ali, Tracey Behm, Ariel Giang-Than Ton and Subhashini Yaturu. Gestational Diabetes, Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome, Impaired fasting Glucose and Progression to Diabetes. Abstract in the print in the abstract book at annual ADA meetings held in June 2005 at San Diego.-Study PI
23. Yaturu, S, Laura K-ravari, Sandhya Bejjanki and Steven DjoDjo 'Gestational Diabetes and Progression to Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome': Poster presentation at ADA annual meetings held in June 2005 at SanDiego.
24. Yaturu, S and Juanita Bridges Insulin resistance syndrome in IFG. – Retrospective study of 250 subjects with impaired fasting glucose - Poster presentation at ADA annual meetings held in June 2005 at SanDiego.
25. Vidhya Subramanian and Subhashini Yaturu. Bone density changes in Crohn’s disease. Poster presentation at annual ISCD meetings 2005
26. Bridges JF and Yaturu S, Shreveport, LA. Effect of monthly Diet Evaluation and advice with additional Xenical on cardiovascular risk markers in subjects with Obesity- Poster presentation at annual ADA meetings held in June 2005 at San Diego.-Study PI
27. Yaturu S and Bridges JF. The Clinical characteristics, Prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome and Coronary Artery disease risk among Veterans with Impaired Fasting Glucose. Annual ADA meetings held in June 2005 at San Diego.-Study PI
28. Yaturu S and Barbara Bryant- Aortic calcification and the cardiovascular risk markers and BMD- Pilot study. Accepted for presentation at ASBMR annual meetings – 2004 and printed in Abstract Book- But could not attend the meeting.
29. Yaturu S and Sidney R Grimes Insulin resistance and thyroid dysfunction. Submitted for VA Research Meeting held in Mar 2004 at Washington, DC.
30. Laura Kimball Ravari, David Kaufman and Subhashini Yaturu Allergy to recombinant human insulin and insulin analog insulin glargine without prior exposure to insulin Preseneted at the Proc. Of the ADA Annual Meetings, Orlando, Florida ; Jun 2004
31. Vijay Kumar, Bruno Blanchon, David Scarborough and Subhashini Yaturu. Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma and Hyperthyroidism Presented at the Proc. Of the Endo Society, New Orleans, Jun 2004.
32. Subhashini Yaturu and Sidney Grimes Effect of thyroid functional status on Adipocyte hormones adiponectin and resistin. Preseneted at the Proc. Of the “hot topics in endocrinology” Annual Meetings, San Diego, Oct. 2003.
33. DePrisco, C., Rao, V.V., Brams, E., Lurie, A. and Yaturu, S. Autoimmune Hypoglycemia. Meeting Abstracts of the 84th Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society, San Francisco, CA, 2002, p. 648.
34. DePrisco, C., Yaturu, S. and Blanchon B. Comparison of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm among Patients with and without Diabetes Mellitus. Meeting Abstracts of the 62nd Scientific Session of the American Diabetes Association, San Francisco, CA, 2002, p. A503.
35. DePrisco, C. and Yaturu, S. Comparison of Changes in Bone Mineral Density of Patients on Statins Compared to those on Calcitonin. Meeting Abstracts of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologist, Chicago, IL, 2002, p. 157.
36. Vidya Subramanian, Vikhas Khurana and Subhashini Yaturu Bone mineral density changes in the subjects with Inflammatory Bowel disease. Proc. Of the Endocrine Society, 84th Annual Meetings, Philadelphia, 2002.
37. Subhashini Yaturu, Maellen G Alferos, Ahmed Jalloul, and T.V. Rao. Malignant carcinoid of the lung in association with multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Type1. Presented at the AACE Annual meetings at SanAntonio,Tx 2001.
38. Alferos MG, DePrisco C and Subhashini Yaturu: Bone mineral density in men during androgen deprivation therapy for prostate cancer. P1-471. Proc. Of the Endocrine Society, 83rd annual meetings, Denver, Colorado 2001.
39. Subhashini Yaturu and Alferos MG: Local invasion of the sternum with recurrent papillary thyroid carcinoma. P2-680. Proc. Of the Endocrine Society, 83rd Annual Meetings, Denver, Colorado 2001.
40. Subhashini Yaturu, Alferos MG, and DePrisco C: Comparison of the Bone Density Data of Two Hips. Accepted for presentation at ASBMR Annual Meeting to be held in Phoenix, AZ in October 2001.
41. Alferos MG, and Subhashini Yaturu: Androgen Deprivation Therapy in Patients with Prostate Cancer and Changes in Bone Mineral Density. Accepted for presentation at ASBMR Annual Meeting to be held in Phoenix, AZ in October 2001.
42. Subhashini Yaturu, Alferos MG, DePrisco C, Tynes J, and Wade S: Statins and Bone Mineral Density. Accepted for presentation at ASBMR Annual Meeting to be held in Phoenix, AZ in October 2001.
43. Subhashini Yaturu and Owens M: Leptin levels and thyroid dysfunction: P2437 Proc. Of Endocrine Society, 82nd Annual Meetings, Toronto, Canada. 2000.
44. Subramanian V, Subhashini Yaturu and Singal R: Small cell carcinoma of the lung with Metastasis to the Pituitary Gland. P2248 Proc. Of Endocrine Society, 82nd Annual Meetings, Toronto, Canada. 2000.
45. Subhashini Yaturu, Subramanian V and Fowler M. Differentiated thyroid carcinoma in an autonomous nodule. Proc. Of the Endocrine Society, 81st annual meetings, San Diego, CA 1999.
46. Subhashini Yaturu, Adamashvili I, Gauteaux M, Levine S, Thomas A and Mc Donald J: Soluble histocompatibility Antigens in patients with Grave’s Disease. Proc. Of Endocrine Society, 80th Annual Meetings, New Orleans, LA 1998.
47. Subhashini Yaturu, Adamashvili I, Scarborough D, and Mc Donald J: Soluble histocompatibility Antigens (sHLA) in patients with Grave’s Disease VERSUS Toxic Multinodular Goiter. Proc of American Thyroid Association, 75th annual meetings, Portland, Oregon, 1998.
48. Subhashini Yaturu, Levine SN, Scarborough D, Mc Donald J. and AdamashviliI: Correlation of soluble HLA class I levels with activity of Grave’s Disease. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, 1998, 82: 123 (P158). Proc of annual AAAAI meetings.
49. Subhashini Yaturu, Cheng JC and Singh SP. Prorenin, renin and aldosterone system in NIDDM. Presented at annual meetings of clinical research. May 1995.
50. Subhashini Yaturu, Singh SP Cheng JC: Progression of renal functions in Non-insulin Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (NIDDM) presented at NFK spring clinical Nephrology Meeting April 1994, Chicago, IL.
51. Subhashini Yaturu, Yaturu K, Singh SP and Cheng JC: Retinopathy and albuminuria in NIDDM. Presented at NFK spring clinical nephrology meetings, April 1993, Chicago, IL.
52. Subhashini Yaturu, Singh SP, Cheng JC, Sagar S, Valika S and Singh SP: Progression of microalbuminuria in Type II diabetes with or without hypertension. Presented at NFK spring clinical Nephrology Meeting, April 1993, Chicago, IL.
53. Valika S, Yaturu K, Sagar S, Subhashini Yaturu and Singh SP progression of C-peptide in Type II D.M. Abstract presented at Clinical Research meetings, April 1993.
Completed Research Support
1. Yaturu, S Thiazolidinediones and skeletal Health- one year follow up study of Effect of Pioglitazone in young male diabetic veterans. Prospective study; Role: Study PI -VA Merit Review Grant -2006-2009.
2. Yaturu, S and Anil Malik Adipokines and Endothelial Dysfunction in Prediabetes and Progression to Diabetes. Role: Study PI –Stiles Grant from LSUHSC, Shreveport.
3. Yaturu, S Prevalence of Osteoporosis in Men. Work completed - Received a investigator initiated grant from Proctor and Gamble ‘RGIA’ Role: Study PI
4. Yaturu, S Aortic calcification and Bone mineral Density: Work completed - Received a investigator initiated grant from Proctor and Gamble ‘RGIA’ Role: Study PI
5. Yaturu, S Prevalence of vertebral fractures in LVA- Approved a investigator initiated grant from Proctor and Gamble ‘RGIA’ Role: Study PI
Residual Funds used for studies:
1. Subhashini Yaturu, Kenneth Phelps and Roy Mathew: Study of whether clearance of bone turnover markers during Hemodialysis results in low levels that leads to under diagnosis of active bone disease.
2. Yaturu, S and Shaker Mousa: Aspirin resistance and DM: published
3. Yaturu, S and Shaker Mousa: Aspirin resistance and CAD: Manuscript in preparation
Studies Completed without any Funding
1. Subhashini Yaturu, MD: Aspirin resistance in Diabetes in relation to Glycemic control
2. Subhashini Yaturu and Michael Marchese: Incidental Adrenal Hyperplasia- data presented at Annual AACE meetings- news release- Manuscript in preparation
3. Subhashini Yaturu, MD, Jennifer McDowell and Barbara Youngberg- Glycemic Relapse in Type 2 diabetes in VISN 2 – Data base study
4. Subhashini Yaturu, Kenneth Phelps and Roy Mathew: Study of whether clearance of bone turnover markers during Hemodialysis results in low levels that leads to under diagnosis of active bone disease- abstract submitted to Endo-Society; Manuscript ready for submission
5. Subhashini Yaturu, MD: Vitamin D in VISN 2: Data base study- part of the data presented at Endo-2012- manuscripts in preparation.
6. Uysal, Deepa Ghanta and Subhashini Yaturu: Bone scans did not show the difference in the uptake among patients with bisphosphonates. Presented at annual ISCD meeting. Received young investigator award. Role: PI and Mentor of the study.
7. Subhashini Yaturu and Jared Davis: Prevalence of decreased vitamin D levels is high among veterans with diabetes and/or CKD
8. Subhashini Yaturu, MD: Vitamin D in VISN 2: Data base study- Need analysis- part of the data presented at Endo-2012.
Major areas of research interest:
1. Aspirin Resistance
2. Dysfunctional HDL
3. Male osteoporosis
4. Diabetes and bone
Honors and Awards:
1. Recipient of Scholarship on Merit basis: in medical School1965-1970.
2. Written the questions for ABIM- Endocrinology and Metabolism at the request of ABIM-1998.
3. Reviewed the questions for ABIM- Endocrinology and Metabolism at the request of ABIM-1998.
4. Reviewed the CPD modules for ABIM- Endocrinology and Metabolism at the request of ABIM-2001.
5. Member Educational Committee of American Thyroid Association 2004- 2006
6. Member of Endocrinology Annual Board review Course Task Force Committee 2007-2008
7. Asked to write questions for certification exam for Obesity.
National Committees and National Recognition:
1. Member Educational Committee of American Thyroid Association 2004- Present
2. Member of Endocrinology Annual Board review Course Committee 2007-2008.
3. Written the questions for ABIM- Internal Medicine at the request of ABIM-1993.
4. Written the questions for ABIM- Endocrinology and Metabolism at the request of ABIM-1998.
5. Reviewed the questions for ABIM- Endocrinology and Metabolism at the request of ABIM-1998.
6. Reviewing the CPD modules for ABIM- Endocrinology and Metabolism at the request of ABIM-2001.
7. 2006- VA Merritt Review Grant- TZDs and Skeletal Health
Throughout my medical career, I worked in a teaching institute, enjoying teaching Medical students, residents and Fellows in Endocrinology wherever it is appropriate. The educational activities include:
1. Bedside Medicine, with emphasis on Endocrinology
2. Small group sessions for 2nd Year Medical Students
3. Didactic lectures: for residents and fellows
4. Mentor for Research protocols for Medical students, residents, fellows and Junior faculty:
a. Two presentations by a fellow were in Endocrine news release
b. Two Junior faculty received young investigator award, me as mentor
5. Teach at my own time, when I travel to India: 2-3 lectures and clinical Medicine yearly at SVIMS, one of the Endocrine fellowship programs in India
1. June 2018: Plenary speaker at global meeting on diabetes at new Delhi, India
2. March 1st, 2017: Medical avadhanam on diabetes (Madhumeha)
3. Feb 2015: SVIMS, Tirupati, India
4. 2014: March: SVIMS- Tirupati, India
5. 2013 March: SVIMS- Tirupati, India
6. 2012: February- SVIMS- Tirupati, India
7. 2010 Jan: SVIMS- Tirupati, India
8. 2003: Kurnool Medial College, Kurnool, India: prevention of Diabetes in India and World
9. 2004: Maternity Hospital, Hyderabad India- Osmania University: Gestational diabetes